Celebrating World Soil Day!
Today is World Soil Day!
World Soil Day aims to highlight the value of healthy soil and sustainable soil management. Here’s a few reasons why soil is so important:
- It is estimated 95% of our food is directly or indirectly produced in our soil
- There are more living organisms in 1 tablespoon of soil, than there are people on Earth
- Soils are one of our most valuable resources in Australia, supporting our food, fibre and water supplies
- Soil underpins our agricultural production, directly contributing approximately $63 billion AUD per year to Australia’s economy
- Soils can store, form and recycle the nutrients we need to survive
Below are a range of soil information resources (Sourced from Food and Agriculture Organisation of the United Nations).