This team delivers activities that are funded under membership service fee.
HCPSL leases 3 farms in the Central Herbert, Lower Herbert and Stone River areas and has commercial arrangements with growers in the Ingham Line and Abergowrie areas to grow “Clean” Seed cane for members.
- Provision of clean seed through the HCPSL “Clean” seed program consisting of access to cane from the “Clean” Seed plots, tissue culture program and hot water treatment facilities. This activity is resource hungry and constitutes a significant component of the HCPSL annual budget.
- Cane testing of material to be used for planting by growers for Ratoon Stunting Disease (RSD).
- Provision of basic crop agronomy advice.
- Provision of basic advice on pest and disease management.
- Provision of basic advice on fallow management.
- Provision of basic advice on herbicides and pesticides.
- Provision of variety management advice.
- Access to the HCPSL GPS basestation network.
- Laser levelling and dumpy level surveys.
- Access to services provided by the Hinchinbrook Community Feral Pig Management Program.
- Access to a biannual newsletter.
- Access to the HCPSL website.
- Farm specific- Nutrient management plans.
- Farm specific-Pest and weed management plans.
- Soil Health project activities.
- Harvesting development project activities.
- Environmental stewardship projects.
As apart the core funding HCPSL also funds variety development activities in the district supporting the HCPSL Ratoon Variety Trials (RVT), SRA and Wilmar plant breeding programs.